If I Could Live in a Book...

If I could live inside a book, it would have to be any one of the books in the Harry Potter series. On one condition–I couldn’t be a muggle or a squib. I know this may seem odd coming from an adult, but I have good reasons. The characters and plots in these books are stimulatingly complex, so I wouldn’t be bored. Another obvious benefit of living in a Harry Potter book is magic. Who wouldn’t want to be able to deal with life’s little problems with the flick of a small stick?

The witches and wizards in Harry Potter have no need to go to the dentist or wait in line at the post office. This alone would have me packing my bags and heading off to Harry Potter land. You can also add never having to do the dishes or peel potatoes to that scenario. All I would have to do is learn a bit of magic and chores would be a breeze.

More importantly, these books appeal to my adventurous side. Riding on Broomsticks, coming across magical creatures and battling evil are all things that are my list of things to do before I die (seriously...kinda). If I lived in a Harry Potter book, I would be able to do these things almost every day.

I don’t think I would ever get bored with wandering around the places Rowling describes in these books. I would buy every strange item there was to be had in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. This would be after I become the professor of muggle studies at Hogwarts of, course. I would spend decades roaming around Hogwarts Castle. I’m sure the library alone would keep me enrapt for years. Then again just about every library has that effect on me.

After I got all that accomplished, I could check out Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. Maybe I could even go see if there is a magical school in the U.S. that Ms. Rowling forgot to write about. Who knows what I could find?


I may have chosen the Lord of the Rings trilogy over Harry Potter, but the truth is that nasty war for Middle Earth didn’t sound appealing. All in all I think the best sort of book to live in would have to be fantasy. What is living in a book, but a fantasy anyway? So many other books that I love to read are just far too real for me to want to live in them. If I could live in a book, why would I choose one in which the world is essentially the same as the one in which I live?

Shelly Barclay

No comments:

Post a Comment