Ten Things I Hate About Reading

Typically, I am the last person you will hear say (or see write) anything bad about reading. I practically live in books sometimes (which says a lot of sad things about me). I just love reading. However, it dawned on me that there are some things about reading that I just do not like.

1. Books do not come with signs you can dangle from the front that say, "I'm reading, which means I don't want to talk to you."

2. You cannot read while you drive.

3. Most people, including myself, cannot read while they work. Unless, like in my case, we read what we are writing.

4. When you love a book so much that you feel like you must read more about the characters, setting, etc., the book does not automatically asexually reproduce a sequel for you. In fact, neither do the writers. Yes, I am pissed at every writer who ever failed to write a sequel to my favorite books before dying. How dare they die when I still have reading I want to do?

5. Reading in the bar makes people think I am crazy.

6. More people talk to me when I am reading at the bar than when I am not.

7. Reading makes me lose hours - lots and lots of hours.

8. I love reading so much that I feel compelled to write about it, which causes me to lose more hours.

9. One of the biggest gripes I have with reading is that most people do not do enough of it. I cannot pretend that I care too much about their intellect or whether they are becoming mentally numbed by technology. It just irks me when I read something awesome and I have no one to talk to about it. (Maybe I need more friends.)

10. The last thing that irks me about reading is that I have never and will never have enough time to read every book that I want to read.

If there is anything about reading that irks you sometimes, feel free to add it in the comments. Sometimes it feels good to complain about the things we love the most. Just ask parents and dieters.

Shelly Barclay

2 comments:

  1. Reading in bar=Crazy
    Reading in coffee shop=Acceptable :)

    ReplyDelete