Reading the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer: Conclusion

Well, this is the last installment of my experience reading the Twilight articles. I tore through Breaking Dawn last night so that we could all move on with our lives. I have to admit, it was my favorite book of the whole series. You are not going to believe this unless you have already read the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, but there is actually some vampiric gore in Breaking Dawn. I was ecstatic. I was getting a little sick of the lack of spewing blood.

All of the questions I had at the end of Eclipse were answered in Breaking Dawn. There is only one loose end that I would like to see tied up and that is Jacob's future. I am trying not to give too much away, so let us just say he got over Bella. Bella and Edward are going to live happily ever after. That was easier to see coming than a freight train. Exactly how Jacob's life is going to turn out is less clear. Reading Breaking Dawn, you get the idea that it will turn out well, but there are just too many question. Stephanie Meyer should write a book or two about Jacob and his future love life. It is not as if it would not sell. People would be salivating to hear she is writing another book in the Twilight series. (I might even read it myself. All right, I would definitely read it. I would not buy it, though.)

My favorite parts of Breaking Dawn are probably not what everyone else loves about them. There is an uber-overdone wedding, a honeymoon that drips romance and vampire face off that did not have enough action, but was tense nonetheless. That probably kept most readers captivated. The best scene for me is when Bella gives birth. It is gory. It is nasty. It is slightly appalling. It is not Bram Stoker, but it is the first glimpse of what I expect from vampire literature. I liked it!

Without further ado, I leave you with my final opinion. I did not hate the Twilight series and I expected to. There were parts that I liked and even really enjoyed. There were also parts that were gratingly repetitive. Overall, they were not bad books, though. I think the movies did as good as they did because of the dreamy heartthrobs they provide teenage girls with. Anyway, I am off to crack another spine, figuratively speaking. I will let you know what I am reading next as soon as I know.

Shelly Barclay

No comments:

Post a Comment