Day two: Reading the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

If this is you are just now stumbling on this series, you may want to read the introduction and day one. Click here for the introduction and here for day one. 

Well, last night's reading started off as anticipated. Bella Swan was in distress *gasp* and Edward Cullen arrived just in the nick of time. I wonder how many times that can possibly happen in one book. Anyway, Bella knows Edward is a vampire now. Her reaction is blasé. I hate to say it, Stephenie Meyer, but no matter how much you "love" (yes, she professed her love of Edward to me, the reader) a man you have talked to a handful of times, no one would be unconcerned to find out someone is a vampire. I had to roll my eyes, but I kept on reading Twilight, as promised.

Just so you know, there are spoilers in this article. If you actually plan on reading the books and have not done so yet, you may want to stop here. If you do read on, please forgive the stilted, cranky article. I had a file issue and had to write it twice. I get a little more pissed than I should when that happens.

After becoming easily convinced of Edward's vampirism, Bella meets his family and is equally accepting of their nature. I know many of you diehard Twilight fans are thinking, "She can sense Edward is a vampire by looking at him." I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but people have a tendency of only processing things that are familiar or easily understood. A real person would probably think that Edward was beautiful, but ill. He or she would not casually accept someone's claim that they are a vampire. In that sense, reading Twilight is like twofold suspension of disbelief. To enjoy it, not only do I have to suspend my own disbelief and think of the Cullens as vampires, but I also have to think of Bella as having suspended her own disbelief. In short, I really do wish that Stephenie Meyer had presented Bella with more evidence and changed her reaction a bit so I didn't have to scoff audibly as I read that part, but I digress. Back to the story.

So, Bella falls quickly and easily in love with Edward and vice versa. Edward struggles with compromising Bella's safety and Bella struggles with Edward's struggles. She falls, he picks her up. He carries her a bit. They steal infrequent kisses. They would kiss more, but kissing her makes Edward want to eat her, etc. Then, one day, Bella is watching Edward and his family play baseball when another group of vampires appear. These are the bad kind (The ones that eat people, not animals. Did I mention Edward and his family only eat animals?). One of the vampires decides it wants to suck the life out of Bella, but he refrains from doing anything right then.

As they leave, Edward tells Bella that he is taking her out of town. An argument that should have been a little less melodramatic ensues. The vampire chases Bella out of town, pretends to kidnap her mother, tricks Bella into leaving her vampire friends and then almost kills her. The Cullens show up just in time, save a severely injured Bella, who is hospitalized. When Bella is healed, Edward tricks her into going to prom, she complains, the end.

I am unsure if the next book is Eclipse or New Moon, but I'm off to crack the spine of whichever it is. So far, I'm not completely unable to read these books. There is no doubt in my mind that this is not intellectual reading, but it is what it is and it is not as bad as I thought.

Shelly Barclay 

No comments:

Post a Comment