Day four: Reading the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

Warning: Spoiler below.

I knew it. Jacob turned into a werewolf. Jacob was the best part of this book, hands down. It was refreshing for there to be moments where the narrator (Bella Swan) was not being coddled to death. All right, Jacob did coddle her a bit, but not nearly as much as the vampire coven did. I am getting ahead of myself here.

Jacob Black and Bella Swan develop a close relationship, which we discussed in part three. One night, while they are their way home from a night at the movies, Jacob says he does not feel quite right and then drops off Bella's radar. She goes all depressed again, until he finally lets her in on his secret. Part of his secret is that he knows her secret - Bella is in love with a vampire. (Yeah, that would sound much more shocking if everybody and their grandma did not already know that.) Anyway, their friendship gets right back to where it was, with the exception of the fact that Jacob is hunting vampires on the Indian Reservation at night. Then, Bella does something stupid, Edward thinks she is dead, so he tries to kill himself. (I know I am doing that crazy run on sentence stuff a lot with these articles, but I feel like I have to spit a lot out at once. Besides, it does not really require a long explanation.) It turns out; he did not want to leave her.

Okay, it has to be said that as much as I like Edward's borderline mean sense of humor coupled with his hopeless romanticism, but it was somewhat annoying when he came back. If you have read the first three days of my attempt at reading the Twilight series, you know that by the beginning of New Moon, I was really tired of Bella falls - Edward is overly concerned. Proceed to kiss that inevitably ends with "My heart beat erratically and Edward pulled away." Couldn't they become part of the abstract descriptions? Stephenie Meyer, I am beginning to like your books, but I could do without the same freaking kiss in every chapter. Change it up a bit!! Back to Belward.

Bella finds out that Edward is going to kill himself and runs to the rescue. That is when she meets the evilish Volturi - a coven of vampires who keep the other vampires in line. As is always the case in vampire books, the vampires have a rule about being noticed by people. I would be less than honest if I did not say this concept is horribly unoriginal. There has to be a way to twist that. I cannot wait until someone finds it.

Well, it is obvious to the Volturi that the Cullens broke the more overdone rule in vampire fiction. (They still have nothing on Lestat. If you do not know who that is, stop reading the Twilight books and find a real vampire book.) Bella's life is threatened, but Alice comes to the rescue with a promise. I have already given away too much, so we will leave that part alone. They all go back to Forks, Washington and flaunt their new togetherness in Jacob Black's face. Did I mention there is a lot of selfishness parading as selflessness in this book? I liked New Moon, but some of the contradictions irritate me.

I am starting Eclipse, the next book in Stephenie Meyers' Twilight series as soon as I save this document. I have to admit, I want to know what is going to happen. That seems to sum up the book for me. I want to know what is going to happen. The plot is interesting. The endless loop of similar dialogue and character interactions is killing me. Jacob Black is the only wild card and even he is getting to be predictable. Hard to avoid when there is only one puppeteer. My hat is off to Stephenie Meyer, nonetheless. Bravo, lady. This next one had better be good.

Shelly Barclay 

No comments:

Post a Comment